Magic Ruling: Load Those Cannons!
You have 1 life remaining, an untapped Elaborate Firecannon, 8 Mountains in play, and a Mountain in your hand.
Your turn is beginning now.
Is there a way for you to fire the Firecannon twice and win this game?
The answer? Yes, there is a way. Here’s how it goes.
- Your turn begins, then at the beginning of your upkeep, the Firecannon’s ability triggers and is added to the stack:
“At the beginning of your upkeep, you may discard a card. If you do, untap Elaborate Firecannon.”
This occurs regardless of whether your Firecannon is currently tapped or untapped.
- While that triggered effect is on the stack, you tap four Mountains to pay for the cannon’s activated ability, adding it to the top of the stack:
“4, T: Elaborate Firecannon deals 2 damage to target creature or player.”
- Your opponent has no responses to add to the stack, so your damage ability resolves and deals 2 damage to your opponent.
- The next effect on the stack resolves. You choose to discard your Mountain, which allows your to untap Elaborate Firecannon.
- The stack is empty. You tap your remaining four Mountains to pay for the cannon’s activated ability once again.
- The damage ability resolves once more, reducing your opponent to 0 life remaining.